Water Softener Installation
What is Hard Water?
When water is referred to as 'hard' this means, that it contains more minerals than ordinary water. These are especially the minerals calcium and magnesium. The degree
of hardness of the water increases, when more calcium and magnesium dissolves.
Magnesium and calcium are positively charged ions. Because of their presence, other positively charged ions will dissolve less easily in hard water than in water that does not contain calcium and magnesium.
This is the cause of the fact that soap doesn't really dissolve in hard water.
What are the disadvantages of Hard Water?
It is very difficult to wash clothes with hard water as it requires more soap and leaves a messy scum that cannot be washed out easily.
When hard water is boiled at home or in industries, it leaves deposits of calcium and magnesium salts in kettles, hot-water pipes, boilers and radiators. These deposits reduce the efficiency of boilers, kettles and pipes and can cause blockages and even bursting of the boilers.
Hard water is known to clog pipes and to complicate soap and detergent dissolving in water.
What is Water Softening?
Water softening is a technique that serves the removal of the ions that cause the water to be hard, in most cases calcium and magnesium ions. Iron ions may also be removed during softening.
The best way to soften water is to use a water softener unit and connect it directly to the water supply.
Why is it a good idea to install a water softener?
1. Having soft water saves you money. When your water is soft, you use much less soap and fewer cleaning products. Your budget will automatically reflect the savings.
2. Your plumbing will last longer. Hard water can cause a build up of scale from mineral deposits. Over time, pipes can clog, water flow can diminish, and water pressure can be reduced. This doesn't happen with soft water. Soft water is low in mineral content and therefore doesn't leave deposits in the pipes.
3. Your hot water heater will last longer. Scale and lime build-up created by minerals will not take place if your water is soft. This adds life to your hot water heater. Also, if you don't have deposits in your hot water heater, it will cost approximately 20% less to heat the water that your family does use. At the end of a year, these savings can really add up.
4. Diminished razor burn: Soft water causes the razor to glide more easily across the face. This, in turn, causes your razor blades to last longer.
5. Most water-using appliances will last longer. Whether it's your coffee pot, your humidifier, or your hot tub, soft water inhibits a build-up of minerals and adds life to these products.
Additional Benefits for having soft water:
1. Probably the first thing you'll notice is that you have to purchase a lot less soap. Whether it's dish detergent, shampoo, or laundry soap, you'll use less of it. The reason is because soft water has greater washing power. You can use less and get superior results. Normally, you will find that you can use 1/2 to 2/3 less soap with the same or even better results.
2. Your clothes last longer and remain brighter longer if they are washed in soft water. The reason is that normal water leaves mineral particles in the weave of most fabrics. This causes them to look dull and dingy. Also, your washing machine will last longer, too, because it won't be subject to a build-up of minerals and deposits.
3. Rings and stains won't darken your bathroom fixtures.
4. Glasses and dishes won't streak.
5. Scrubbing floors and tile will be easier and faster because you won't have the film and soap scum that hard water creates.
6. Your skin is softer when you bathe with soft water. You will leave your bath or shower feeling refreshed with your skin feeling truly clean. Also, rough, dry skin will naturally diminish.
7. If you color your hair, it will keep its radiance longer if it is washed in softened water.
What are the results after installing a water softener?
With the Total Home System, you'll enjoy all the benefits of having soft, treated water at every tap in your home:
• Chlorine tastes and odors are gone
• Tubs, showers and shower doors are no longer
covered in soap scum.
• Sinks and faucets are virtually free of crusty
•Keeping your house clean your is easier, and takes much
less time and effort.
• Laundry washes cleaner and brighter
• Clothes, linens and towels are much softer to the touch
• Skin is smoother and hair is silkier and bouncier
• Appliances work more efficiently and last longer
• Rust and dirty water stains are no longer a problem
• Pipes are virtually free of scale buildup and less likely to
suffer from corrosion.
• You entire home uses less detergent and soap, saving you
saving you money and helping the environment.
Take your water to the next level!
Let JL Phelps & Associates Plumbing and Mechanical Inc. do the job for you!